Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Packing up and tossing out...

Regular readers... (do I actually have regular readers?) may have noticed the lack of serious blogging... and science blogging... recently. I'm in the process of moving from Norway, which means things are a bit chaotic right now. Hopefully things will 'straighten out' in a week or so.

Many years ago I travelled through the Orkney and Shetland Islands... I bypassed much of Scotland in a desire to go as far north as I could. I remember falling in love with the island culture and its mix of Scottish and Norwegian influences, the history that included everything from the Shetland Bus to stone age Skara Brae, and the many birds and seals that called the islands home. Standing at the northernmost tip of Unst, within sight of Muckle Flugga, I vowed to one day continue on to Norway....

... and now, years later, I'm leaving. Part of me doesn't want to go, and part of me is itching to move on to new horizons. I hope one day to return to these fjords, but I know deep down my track record of return visits is pretty dismal.

Then again, I did return this summer in the Shetlands, so maybe the call of the north will bring me back to Norway.

Until then, god Jul og godt Nyttår!