Sunday, October 30, 2005

Visitors....

I've been stuck at home sick for the last few days, which for me usually means a combination of frustration and boredom, interrupted by bad 50's sci-fi movies (today: Invaders from Mars, original and remake) and flipping through blogs. One of the nice utilities of the site meter is that it takes note of where a person came from when they arrived at my site. A lot of the new visits are thanks to a I and the Bird... I'm not really a bird person, preferring invertebrates, but maybe this might motivate me to post a few of my pics of the Norwegian and Shetland birdlife. We don't get a huge number of bird species up here, but up in the mountains I've seen a few ptarmigan, while the Shetland islands are a good place for gannets, skua, and guillemots.

Some of the referring links don't make much sense... blogspot has a feature that lets you jump randomly to another blog, and I think thats where a few of the hits are coming from. One odd one comes from what I'm guessing is a right wing site that quoted my commentary on Arctic penguins. I'm thinking they missed the point (I don't think they read the original Guardian news story) since their take on it is that global warming is already here, so there is no point trying to do anything about it.... lets just keep partying. I hope for their sake they don't live in a coastal area and that they don't care much for seafood.

I'm going to give a tip of the hat to one reader I came across, at The House and Other Arctic Musings. The Canadian arctic is the one part of that country I never had a chance to visit and I've always wished I had. In my university days, I knew people who did research up in the Arctic, from Tuktoyaktuk to the Queen Elizabeth Islands... including one fellow who worked on the overwintering of the Arctic Woolly Bear caterpillar. Apparently the subject of exactly how many years these caterpillars overwintered was quite contentious, and I remember one very angry blow-up at a conference between the 14-year side and the 8-year side of the question. I guess if you spend that many years watching a caterpillar grow, you take the subject very very seriously.