Wednesday, October 26, 2005

2000

Its strange to think how two and a half years ago I sat eating lunch in a Kansas sportsbar, watching the first rockets strikes hit Baghdad on the big screen TV and listening to people cheering each explosion, as though celebrating a touchdown by the home team.

I thought then that no good could come of this war, but I don't feel any satisfaction in being proven right.

This Saturday Staff Sgt. George T. Alexander Jr. became the 2000th US casualty of the war. Our allies together have lost over 200 men, and countless tens of thousands of Iraqis have been killed in this disaster. I'd like to think that with Bush's poll numbers crashing we have reached a turning point, but Bush is not a man given to admitting wrong. I can't help thinking there will be far more than 2000 US dead by the time this is all over.